Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click on, or make a purchase through a third-party link.
One of the favorite meals in the Brown household is stuffed bell peppers. Even the kids love these. I first made these on day 7 of the Whole30 and decided to make them again tonight (Day 16).
These are very simple and healthy. They don’t take long and they are very tasty. Vegans or vegetarians can substitute the ground beef with beyond meat or another meat substitute.
I always start by gathering ingredients. For this recipe, you will need all of the items shown above. See the recipe at the bottom of this post for a complete list.
The first step is to prepare the acorn squash. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon and peel as much of the green skin as possible. Cut the squash in the grooves and finish peeling all the green skin off as shown. Finally, cube the squash.
Cut the zucchini in half and peel it. Cut the zucchini into cubes and set aside.
Cut the shallot in half, peel it and chop it as pictured above.
The next step is to prepare the bell peppers. First, cut the tops off of the peppers. Cut them about an inch from the top of the edible part of the pepper. Turn the tops over and cut around the stems. Chop the tops up as shown above and discard the hard stems. Clean the seeds and membranes out of the larger part of each pepper and discard. Rinse the inside of each pepper removing any remaining seeds and membranes.
Prepare the large parts of the bell peppers which will serve as the bowls for our filling. To a large pot of boiling water, add the peppers and submerge them. Boil the peppers for three minutes. Remove the peppers from the boiling water bath with tongs and be sure to drain any water from the inside. Place the peppers in an oven proof glass dish and set aside.
Now we can start cooking. First, over medium heat, begin to brown the ground beef. If you use ground beef with more than 7% fat, cook until browned and drain off any remaining fat. I used 93% lean ground beef so draining will not be necessary.
Add all of the chopped vegetables (zucchini, acorn squash, shallots, and pepper tops) to the ground beef, coconut oil mixture and stir well.
Add the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and stir well. As you can see from the picture above, I added all ingredients at once before the ground beef was fully cooked. You may brown the beef first if you prefer. This mixture needs to cook about ten minutes stirring often. If you like your veggies a little crunchy, add them when three minutes are left in the browning time.
After ten minutes of cooking, this is what your filling will look like.
Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture as shown above. Cook in a preheated 350-degree oven for ten minutes. Serve immediately.
Whole30 Compliant Stuffed Bell Peppers by Sunshine Nutraceuticals
- Large Pot
- Deep Frying Pan
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Potato peeler
- Stirring Spoon
- 9×13 inch glass oven baking dish
- 6 EA Bell Peppers Any color will work
- 6 oz Tomato Paste Be sure there is no added sugar in your tomato paste
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef If you use a higher fat version, you will need to drain the fat prior to adding the vegetables and tomato paste.
- 1 ea Acorn Squash You only need half for this recipe
- 1 ea medium Zucchini Squash I used half in this recipe
- 1 tbs Ground Cumin
- 1 tbs Chili Powder
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper any black pepper is fine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Cut the acorn squash in half. Scoop out the seeds of one half, peel the green skin off and cut into cubes, set aside.
- Cut the zucchini in half, peel the zucchini and cut it into cubes, set aside.
- Cut the shallot in half, peel off the skin and cut it into cubes.
- Cut the peppers in two parts about an inch from the top as shown.
- cut tops around the stems and remove seeds and membranes from the larger portion of each pepper. Rinse to remove all remaining seeds and membranes. Discard stems.
- chop up the remaining tops of the peppers as shown.
- Brown and break up ground beef in coconut oil until meat is no longer pink in color, about 10 minutes.
- While meat is cooking, submerge peppers in boiling water and cook for 3 minutes
- remove peppers from boiling water with tongs and be sure to drain all water from them.
- add vegetables (Acorn squash, zucchini, cubed pepper tops, and shallots) to meat and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir until well mixed. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- This is how the stuffing will appear when cooked.
- Stuff each pepper with meat mixture.
- Cook in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Thank you for visiting Sunshine Nutraceuticals. Have a GREAT Day and remember to take care of yourself!