Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click on, or make a purchase through a third-party link.
I am now on Day #19 of the Whole 30 diet.
Eleven days to go.
To be honest, I am not a big fan of eggs unless they are part of a cake!
I did decide to try a frittata because eggs are a great source of protein and I wanted something a little different to try on this diet. This recipe is super easy and I actually enjoyed it. It will probably find its way onto our table at least every other week.
This is one of those recipes that lends well to substitutions. I would love to add mushrooms (most of my family hates them), ham, green onions, salsa, etc. You could add anything that goes with eggs to this recipe!
The best thing about this recipe is it is SUPER FAST and EASY!!
You can have this on the table in no time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
As you can see from the picture above, there are not many ingredients for this recipe. The only thing not pictured that you will need is some sort of Whole 30 compliant fat. I use coconut oil. Be sure to gather all ingredients to be sure you have everything. For this recipe, I used eight large eggs, a bag of baby spinach, a red bell pepper, several cherry tomatoes a small regular tomato and half of an onion. As mentioned above, you could substitute many ingredients.
If you aren’t doing Whole 30, cheese would be a fabulous addition.
The first step is to peel and chop the onion. Next, chop up the entire red pepper discarding the stem, seeds, and membrane from the inside of the pepper. Set these aside.
Next seed and dice the tomato and cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Set these both aside.
The next step is to prepare the eggs. Crack the eggs into a bowl, use a whisk to beat them well as shown above and set the bowl aside. I added salt and pepper at this stage as well. About one teaspoonful of each.
Now that everything is prepared, we are ready to start cooking. The first thing to do is get a large oven-proof frying pan and add 2 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil as shown above. Melt oil over medium heat. I use medium heat throughout this recipe. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. We will bake the final mixture at a high temperature for a short period.
After the coconut oil is melted, add the onions, bell pepper, and chopped tomatoes to the skillet. DO NOT ADD the cherry tomatoes. We will add them later. Cook this mixture for three to four minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Once the spinach is wilted, the eggs can be added.
This is what your pan should look like prior to adding the beaten eggs.
Add the beaten eggs to the vegetables. Do not stir. The eggs should be folded into the veggies with a rubber spatula.
Fold the eggs into the vegetables quickly before the eggs begin to set. Cook for about three minutes.
Place cherry tomatoes on the top of the egg mixture and bake in the 500 degree over for about five to seven minutes or until mixture is set throughout and not runny. This one took seven minutes and turned out perfect.
Get Anxiety Formula Now
Spinach Tomato Bell Pepper Frittata Whole 30 Compliant
- Oven Proof Large Deep Skillet or Frying Pan
- Sharp Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Large Rubber Spatula
- Butter Knife for Serving
- 8 eggs
- 8 oz spinach
- 1 tomato
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Red Bell pepper Any color will work
- 1/2 onion
- Gather ingredients as shown.
- chop and peel onion and red bell pepper. Discard stem, membrane and seeds of bell pepper. Set aside.
- Chop and seed regular tomato and cut each cherry tomato in half.
- Crack eggs into bowl, add one teaspoonful each of salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs and set aside
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Add onion, bell pepper and chopped tomato to pan. DO NOT add cherry tomatoes yet! Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- This is what the mixture should look like prior to adding eggs.
- Add beaten eggs, do not stir. Fold eggs into vegetable mixture quickly using rubber spatula before eggs begin to set.
- Cook mixture for about three minutes.
- Add cherry tomato halves to the top of the egg mixture. Place in preheated 500 degree oven and bake 5 to 7 minutes or until eggs are totally set.
- Slice the frittata into wedges like a pie and serve immediately.
Cut the fritatta into wedges like a pie and serve. Hot sauce and salsa can be added. ENJOY!
Thank you for visiting our site! More to come soon. Be happy and healthy!